web analytics
a

Facebook

Twitter

Copyright 2015 Libero Themes.
All Rights Reserved.

8:30 - 6:00

Our Office Hours Mon. - Fri.

703-406-7616

Call For Free 15/M Consultation

Facebook

Twitter

Search
Menu
Westlake Legal Group > article  > Dog survives after 4-inch BBQ skewer pierces kidney

Dog survives after 4-inch BBQ skewer pierces kidney

A 9-year-old dog in the United Kingdom is lucky to be alive after swallowing a wooden kebab skewer which later pierced through her kidney.

Last month, the Yorkshire terrier Lilly began showing signs of discomfort, such as vomiting and diarrhea. She also had a fever. When her owner Norma Mackay took her to a veterinarian in Dewsbury, West Yorks, an ultrasound revealed a sharp object had pierced through one of the dog’s kidneys.

HALF OF AMERICA’S CATS ARE OVERWEIGHT OR OBESE, STUDY FINDS 

Westlake Legal Group dog-er-kebab-mi-420684 Dog survives after 4-inch BBQ skewer pierces kidney Madeline Farber fox-news/health/healthy-living/pet-health fox news fnc/health fnc article 355d2032-831b-59d3-aa87-4fcd3a1f6c41

Lilly made a swift recovery and went home the day after surgery. (SWNS)

“It was on this ultrasound scan that the stick could be seen passing through her left kidney. We were all stunned. None of us have ever encountered something like this before,” Natalie McQuire, a veterinarian who treated Lilly, told South West News Service (SWNS), a British news agency.

Westlake Legal Group dog-er-kebab-mi-420689 Dog survives after 4-inch BBQ skewer pierces kidney Madeline Farber fox-news/health/healthy-living/pet-health fox news fnc/health fnc article 355d2032-831b-59d3-aa87-4fcd3a1f6c41

The skewer can be seen in an ultrasound image. (SWNS)

The dog required surgery to remove the four-inch skewer, which she likely ate when Mackay held a barbecue roughly four weeks before Lilly fell ill. Veterinarians said the skewer passed through Lilly’s intestine, across her abdomen, and through her kidney, according to SWNS.

Westlake Legal Group dog-er-kebab-mi-420687 Dog survives after 4-inch BBQ skewer pierces kidney Madeline Farber fox-news/health/healthy-living/pet-health fox news fnc/health fnc article 355d2032-831b-59d3-aa87-4fcd3a1f6c41

The 4-inch long skewer and the pierced kidney which had to be removed. (SWNS)

“Lilly underwent surgery to remove the stick, which was found to have passed all the way through the kidney and was sticking out from either side. Unfortunately, due to the skewer’s length and the damage caused, it was not possible to save the affected kidney so this was removed at the same time,” added McQuire.

MINNESOTA MAN CONTRACTS RARE FUNGAL INFECTION THAT KILLED HIS DOG LAST YEAR

The surgery was a success and Lilly is now recovering.

“Lilly made a fantastic recovery from her surgery. She was kept overnight on intravenous fluids to help support her remaining kidney before being sent home the following day,” McQuire said. “Her owner was as surprised as everyone else at the findings.”

Westlake Legal Group dog-er-kebab-mi-420684 Dog survives after 4-inch BBQ skewer pierces kidney Madeline Farber fox-news/health/healthy-living/pet-health fox news fnc/health fnc article 355d2032-831b-59d3-aa87-4fcd3a1f6c41   Westlake Legal Group dog-er-kebab-mi-420684 Dog survives after 4-inch BBQ skewer pierces kidney Madeline Farber fox-news/health/healthy-living/pet-health fox news fnc/health fnc article 355d2032-831b-59d3-aa87-4fcd3a1f6c41

Real Estate, and Personal Injury Lawyers. Contact us at: https://westlakelegal.com 

Admin